Paper Application Tips – OE CA Birthday Rule
The empty space at the bottom of page 1 of the paper application can be used to provide special instructions or notes regarding the paper application.
For example, this space can be used to indicate OE via the CA Birthday Rule. Nationa; best to input paper applications as Open Enrollment, when applicable. This clarifying note can assist with reducing that potential oversight. Do not check the GI box in the instance of OE through the California Birthday Rule.
Underwriting Tips – Avoiding a Declined Application
NGL carefully monitors their submitted applications and seeks ways to help you get your business issued. One way to avoid a declined application is to check pages 17 – 20 of the Underwriting Guide before submitting an application. The pages give you a list of uninsurable conditions, combinations of conditions and unacceptable medications.
The top three reasons an application is declined are:
- Diabetes in combination with a cardiovascular condition, including clients who are diabetic and take a heart medication or a blood thinner. Clients who are diabetic and are taking more than 2 medications for blood pressure, edema or fluid retention will not be insured.
- Cardiovascular /heart conditions that have not been stable for at least two years. “Stable” means no changes in medications or dosages in the past two years. If your client has a longstanding heart condition, but had a medication change within the past two years, they are not insurable.
- Daily use of narcotics or opioids. Narcotics and opioids are addictive, and can be more potent when taken by individuals who are elderly. Please note, this includes drugs such as Hydrocodone, Tramadol, Oxycodone or Morphine. Please check the Underwriting Guide or call one of our underwriters if you are not sure about a medication.
Refer to the height/weight guidelines on page 11 of the Underwriting Guide. There are different height/weight limits for individuals with diabetes, who use tobacco or are being treated for a heart condition.
If you cannot find something in the Underwriting Guide or wish to discuss your client’s medical history in detail, please call NGL’s Underwriting team at 877-888-1511 between 7am and 5pm Mountain time.
2019 OOC and Brochures on Agent Portal
Outlines of Coverage and Brochures have been revised to reflect new 2019 deductibles. These can be downloaded, printed, and ordered through the Agent Portal.
Medicare Supplement Product
NGL’s Medicare Supplement product is available for sale in the following states: AL, CA, CO, DE,
DC, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MI, MS, NC, ND, NJ, NM, NV, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, WV, WI & WY.
E-App User Guide
The National Guardian Life Insurance Company (NGL) Medicare Supplement E- App has everything you need to complete and submit applications for quick issue including the ability to have your client voice sign the app and a built-in Point-of-Sale underwriting engine.
- Easy, simple and quick application process
- Contains all required forms
- Built-in rate calculator that auto-generates premiums
- Avoid copying redundant information
- Telephone Electronic Signature is available 24/7
- Point-of-Sale Underwriting engine
E-App User Guide: The user guide attached below will walk you through the whole E-App process from start to finish.
Click here to access the E-App through the NGL Agent Portal.
View Full Blog