As a reminder, the following outlines the policy for all Medicare Supplement applications with Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company in the state of Minnesota:
- Basic Plan + Riders are available for all Guaranteed Issue (GI) rights.
- Extended Basic, $20/$50 Copayment Plan and the High Deductible Plan are only available for the “Medicare Advantage Trial Right” GI right.
- No applicant who has a GI right to a MN plan, and provides proof of GI, can be underwritten. Applicants cannot waive this GI right when applying.
- Applicants applying during their Open Enrollment period cannot be underwritten for any plan at any time.
Applications received and validated as GI where the applicant is applying for the Basic Plan and desires to waive their GI right and apply for an underwritten plan will not be accepted and will be returned to the agent.
Applicants that have a GI right and do not wish to apply for the plans available can be underwritten for another plan, e.g., Extended Basic Plan, under the following condition:
- The applicant knows he/she has the right to a Basic Plan + Riders without underwriting but is choosing a policy other than the Basic + Riders.
Cigna will alert the applicant to this fact during the required phone verification (PV) and confirm that all who waive their GI rights do so with full understanding of the right.
If you need any clarification of this policy, you can contact Cigna’s Agent Resource Line at 877.454.0923.
View Full Blog